"Next time somebody tells you that something is true, why not say to them: "What kind of evidence is there for that?" And if they can't give you a good answer, I hope you'll think very carefully before you believe a word they say"
Richard Dawkins, "A Devil's Chaplain" pg 248
And on that note, enjoy the following :)
If you can believe it, many vehement followers of the great and mighty Richard referred to this video as a hoax, stating that he did in fact answer the question but the reality is he did not touch the question. In fact he went completely off in his own direction rambling on about the misconstrued perception of the evolutionary process. Uh yeah, that's nice Richie that you hold onto your belief on how it all happened but that was not the question.
Richard Dawkins, "A Devil's Chaplain" pg 248
And on that note, enjoy the following :)
If you can believe it, many vehement followers of the great and mighty Richard referred to this video as a hoax, stating that he did in fact answer the question but the reality is he did not touch the question. In fact he went completely off in his own direction rambling on about the misconstrued perception of the evolutionary process. Uh yeah, that's nice Richie that you hold onto your belief on how it all happened but that was not the question.
The interviewer did not ask you whether or not we are descendants or just cousins. They did not ask you to explain how you believe it all happened. They asked you to substantiate your assertion of the evolutionary process of genetic mutation based on your very own words and truth claims. In 1993 it was you who decided what constituted a "scientific" approach to what was "True". On page 145 of your book "A Devil's Chaplain" you state:
"testability, evidential support, precision, quantifiability, consistency, intersubjectivity, repeatability, universality, progressiveness, independence of cultural milieu (this should include atheists since they are a culture unto themselves) and so on"
Alright, fair enough. Now answer the question. Give us an example of genetic mutation or evolutionary process based on your concept of scientific approach. Still "Nothing" Richard? How ironic for someone who believes in nothing.
"As a lover of truth, I am suspicious of strongly held beliefs that are unsupported by evidence".
(A Devil's Chaplain, pg. 117)
Now there Richard is something you and I can agree on. Scientifically speaking of course.
So allow me to apply your advice and great wisdom with your original quote at the beginning of this post. There is no doubt, Richard, that you believe that genetic mutation is true. You have stated that many times. So I will ask the question that you yourself would encourage an inquisitive guy like myself to ask. OK, Here we go:
"Richard, what kind of evidence do you have to substantiate genetic mutation?"
Oh wait you just answered that one on your video response. You came from "nothing", believe in "nothing" and your answer was "nothing". In that case I will take you up on your advice since you can't give a good answer...or any for that matter. And I will think carefully about what you said before I believe a word you say..or don't say. Just as you would recommend.
Since there was "Nothing" to ponder, except 14 seconds of deafening silence and 1 minute 24 seconds of your doctrinal preaching on what you believe to have taken place, that did not take me long to consider. Thanks for your insight and advice Richard. I have applied it as per your direction and have drawn the conclusion that I don't believe you :)
Until next time...
13 comments:
Just as a note, while I have stated that evolution without a doubt occurred, I must also explain that I believe G-d guided evolution. It seems obvious to me that He did, based on the great diversity of creatures that we have and how evolution seems to have occurred to create certain species, such as humans.
Oh, and when you get this, send me an email. Says we're both in Manitoba. We should chat. Email is listed on my blog.
You and I would agree on evolution...on a micro level. This has been well established. No longer theory but indeed fact.
Evolution on a macro level? (One species morphing into an entirely different species)Now that's a whole new ballgame. Macro evolution is a theory in crisis thanks to the last 25 years of genetic discovery.
Rather then the irresponsible teaching of promoting evolutionary theory as fact (as many "enlightened" educators attempt) it should be re-written for the world's libraries under some of the greatest myths and fables ever told! :)
BTW Justin I have attempted to email you according to the address on your site. It just kicked it back to me as an error????
Take out the "|nospam|".
I thought you'd be smarter than that...
LOL :P Hey kid I can rip apart a Harley engine and rebuild it. Get me around a new car and all I see are wires and plastic.
I am humble enough to acknowledge that am still learning! :) I will re-send the email.
You should have your email this time. Your comment has been deleted as requested :)
I really wish you lived closer - I'd love to have long conversations about this that I didn't have to type out...and since I hate the phone (don't like not 'seeing' a person while I'm talking), it makes it difficult. :)
Anyway, after years and years of anthropological training, I have to say that I'm not convinced of any of the current theories of macro evolution. I think the reason no one can provide 'proof' (or even evidence that isn't contradictory) is because there's a significant chunk of the puzzle missing. I'd love to talk about what I think ('believe') :) but I don't want to do that without stuff to back it up, and I don't have time to go back in my notes right now and find it all.
Hopefully one day soon. :)
Dude,
come back and join us again.
Q
I visited several web pages however the audio quality
for audio songs existing at this website is truly fabulous.
thanx for sharing nice blog information
That's what everyone likes. You have a good imagination. Great post thanks you
Post a Comment