Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Just answer the question!
Well the great and mighty Richard Dawkins has spoken yet again! The world's self proclaimed master of intelligence continues to grace our planet with his wonderful random chance supremacy steeped in his deep "accidental" logic that derived from nothingness! How blessed we are to have such a humble personality come together with such vast knowledge of his own wisdom! How did he attain such heights of orderly intelligence out of all the chaos in our expansive universe? I guess he was just first in line thru natural selection to grab hold of that selfish gene. Good thing to because I would not know how stupid I was if he were not around to tell me.
Thank God for...oh dear, I just offended Richard and displayed my hallucigenetic nature exposing my incredible lack of intellect. But really, I just want to know more Richie. If you are as smart and as intelligent as you keep telling us you are and we are as stupid...as you keep telling us we are...then please, for the love of...(oops, almost did it again) please "enlighten" the masses with an answer.
In the following video, Richard had a minute and a half to answer a very simple question, no doubt from a "simple" person compared to his greatness, and was incapable of it. If one claims to be such a supreme intelligence at the very least grace us all with an intelligent response. Instead Richard displays an "attitude" of arrogance and ignorance without responding with an answer at all.
First he opens up with a self defeating contradiction:
"Well, anybody could be wrong!"
Not true Richard, because you assure everyone that only people with weak minds who have the audacity to believe in a deity are wrong! Don't believe me? Just ask yourself since there is no other superior intellect outside of you. In fact it was you who said "The refusal to believe in anything you can't see yourself is absurd". Wait a minute... Yikes! Forgot about that one. That little statement could actually put you in a place of conflict with yourself so we just won't go there.
Next up he says to the "simple" minded student, who was probably robbed in the gene pool of intellect by being the weaker of the species:
"You know what it is like to believe in a particular faith because you are not a muslim your not a Hindu. Why aren't you a Hindu? Because you happen to be brought up in America not in India. For people brought up in India you'd be a Hindu. If you were brought up in, in Denmark in the time of the Vikings you would be believing in (could not make it out) and Thor.If you were brought up in classical Greece you'd be believing in Zeus. If you were living in Central Africa you'd be believing in the great Juju up the mountain."
OK let's get serious here now. Are you freakin' kidding me? What a generalized, broad brushed statement that was. On the one hand I will give Richard some credit for the whole "you are a product of your enviorment" spiel but that is certainly not a verifiable consistent pattern in which one could draw a conclusive absolute on. There are far to many circumstances that would dictate just the opposite. This is such a narrow minded unintelligible response.
For one thing there are Christians in every region that he mentions. Many who converted (in some of the mentioned regions under threat of death) from the different "beliefs" within the differing time eras. Secondly, how does Richard the almighty supreme intelligence explain me? If I had posed the same question he would not have me pegged at all. I came from a very non-Christian/religious home. Not a single Christian on either side of my family. As far back as my great grandparents, none ever attended church on a regular or irregular basis unless it was a wedding or funeral. To this day none of them even have a bible in the home unless I personally gave them one which I doubt they read. The mindset of my enviorment growing up was liberal and my step father professed his atheism. Yet, in my stupidity as Richard would point out, I made a decision to follow Christ. regardless of my childhood surroundings, nation, or atheistic influences. Answer that one O great master of supreme intelligence.
Finally he states:
"There's no particular reason to pick on the Judeo Christian God in which by the sheerest accident you happen to have been brought up in and ask me the question "What if I'm wrong?". What if your wrong about the great juju at the bottom of the sea?"
And there you have it. He refuses to answer the question and then turns the question back on the "simple" minded student. This sounds so much like "I know you are but what am I?". Childish and redundant. What are you afraid of Richard? Answer the question if you are so sure of yourself. And to insult the young lady by referring to her upobringing as an accident. Wow! Tell us then Richard what it was like being raised in the selfish dominating gene pool that natrually selected your parents to raise such an intellect? Funny how nothing "influenced" your perceptions. You are to sharp for that aren't you?
What an asine response. In Richard's earlier years he displayed a willingness to engage in intellectual philisophical debate with respect. Today, he appears to have given into the "New Atheism" which is completely disengaged philisophically and focuses more on outright attacking people who believe in the existence of a deity. Tsk tsk, not very tolerant! I am willing to answer the question Richard. Why aren't you?
Until next time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Dawkins has a non-existent understanding of religion, theology, and theologically-relevant metaphysics.
His attacks on religion are almost always utterly impotent and devoid of philosophical or intellectual merit.
-Nog
TIO,
HELLO! It has been sooooooo long. Glad you are back! Luv your views. Look forward to seeing them.
I hope all is well with you and yours!
Q
Hey TIO,
Lucy just dumped us? What up wit dat? Maybe you can draw her in...
The new guys seems to be doing real good...
Q
Way to kick butt TIO,
I think I remember him sayting this: "The refusal to believe in anything you can't see yourself is absurd". Rich, you can't see gravity and you don't know what it is... Can't see love...
q
Nog,
That summed it up nicely!
Q,
Thanks for the welcome back. Glad to see you you folks are still out there.
It seems I missed Lucy by a day or two. Not sure how I could reach her as Hanz took over the site. So unless he has a direct line to her and can forward messages I have no idea how to reach her.
Glad to see you have your own blog up and running.
I have Lucys email address that she used for the blog. I don't think she will shoot me if i gave it to you guys as it was in her profile.
Whether it is still operating i don't know but its lucyp_reply@hotmail.co.uk
:) Hi!
Also, NOG! HI!
Ok. So. I know you want me to defend him. :) But I can't. I have to say that I agree with the basic premise of the idea that 'faith' without evidence is not so smart. People are faliable. What you think you understand about God might not be the truth...if you're telling others to blindly follow what you say simply because you say it, with no evidence of their own to support their faith, I don't accept that.
And I don't accept 'it says it in the bible' as an argument either -it was (at the very least) transcribed by man, based on what God dictated. So, they could have gotten it wrong. And don't tell me God would intervene...would He? Has He intervened in other areas? He allows other faiths to exist (all of which, incidentally, claim to have 'the one true faith). ;)
ANYWAY - I'm getting off topic... I think the idea that you follow a particular faith because that's how you were raised only goes so far. If you're a thinking person, you will, at some point, naturally question those assumptions with which you were raised. Someone like me, who was raised in a VERY Christian family... there's no accounting for the fact that I'm a Buddhist(ish) if we only accept familial influence or cultural 'product'. You chose Christianity because, of all the information presented to you, it made the most sense. You connected to it, for whatever reason.
I think the essence of what he asks: 'what if you're wrong'? is something that we all need to ask ourselves, everyday. If we have a strongly held belief, we need to ask ourselves WHY and where it came from... and understand that other people hold different and equally strong views.
:)
2 cents from your resident hippy. <3.
Mandora,
I know you want me to defend him.
Actually I don't.
#1 because there really is nothing to defend when it comes the man self righteous arrogance.
#2 I actually like it when we agree :)
the basic premise of the idea that 'faith' without evidence is not so smart
In that case Richard would qualify as an idiot on a number of positions he holds. Remember your statement when I post my follow up piece. In fact, I may use your qoute as the opener...with your permission of course.
it was (at the very least) transcribed by man, based on what God dictated
So we both agree then that God inspired the prophets to write down His message.
2 Timothy 3:16 - "ALL scripture is inspired by God..."
So, they could have gotten it wrong. And don't tell me God would intervene...would He?
You undermine the intelligence and Supremacy of God. If you, as a mere falliable human being, were dictating your lifes works to a secretary/publisher/ or even students and made it very clear that they were to write things down as you have dictated then you would expect them to do just that.
Afterall, it is your story to tell. If you peered over their shoulder only to discover they were re-writing some areas they didn't like or "misunderstood" you on some areas, would you knowlingly ignore their error? If you wouldn't do you really believe God would?
If it were your story you would ensure the accuracy of it thru every publication and re-publication till the day you die. Fourtantley God cannot die.
Has He intervened in other areas?
The bigger question is, would you recognize them if you saw them? Because the answer is unequivocally yes.
He allows other faiths to exist (all of which, incidentally, claim to have 'the one true faith). ;)
"Allows" is the key word. That is called grace. The latter part of your statement is actually misleading. Not ALL claim to have the one true faith. Universalism comes to mind. A mythology that is in fact spreading into many new age beliefs including "some" church's that once proclaimed Christianity.
For the most part the "exclusive" claims come from Christianity, Islam and Judaism.
You chose Christianity because, of all the information presented to you, it made the most sense. You connected to it, for whatever reason.
That, like Richard my dear, is assumptive. My views were far to negative towards Christianity to make a "rational and informed" decision. A one time expeirence is what literally "transformed" me towards the reality of God.
'what if you're wrong'? is something that we all need to ask ourselves
When it comes to the existence of God I am fully 100% convinced I am not wrong (although I could be wrong about things that concern Him) however, unlike Richard, I am willing to answer the question without mocking or belittling the one who asked it. Although I do admit to using a condescending tone in this piece but..he asked for it! lol
and understand that other people hold different and equally strong views.
And that I can respect. Glad your back...Hippy! lol
:) You know we disagree on the fundamental question of the Bible and whether it's TRULY the word of God. I've seen nothing within the church lately that makes me think that He would intervene if man was doing something stupid with his message (look at the state of the catholic church right now, for evidence of this).
ANYWAY - that wasn't the point of this post, and we can (and have) argued for pages and pages about this question. I'm interested to see what your next post yields. Feel free to use anything I say...just make sure it's in context! lol!! :)
Glad to BE back.
Mandora,
You are right we are getting off topic. What else is new? lol
But I just had to respond to this:
" I've seen nothing within the church lately that makes me think that He would intervene if man was doing something stupid with his message (look at the state of the catholic church right now, for evidence of this)."
Very, VERY broad statement. You presuppose every church is like the Catholic church. The catholic church is in a shambles because it abides more by it's cathecisms then the Bible itself. A deep study reveals it to be the literal epitomy of the definiton of religion.
The catchesisms and all the rules written around their doctrines are quite often not scripturally supported. They are an institution of ritualisms.
As far as intervention goes, would you like Him to remove the gift of freewill?
"You know we disagree on the fundamental question of the Bible and whether it's TRULY the word of God"
That we do, but keep in mind my consistent positon. Whether it be the ritualistic institutionalism of the catholic church, the Liberally "Let's ignore the scriptures we don't like" mainstream church (United, Some Anglican), the "add more words to he Bible by making our own" Mormons, or the "strictly by the book and only this book" (Pentecostals, Baptists, Evangelicals..count me in this one)....there is one common thread here. The Bible itself that sit's in every denominational church I just mentioned, in it's orginal historical writings, still remains unchanged. Many have changed their opinions BUT the Word in that book is still written the way it was 2,000 (New Test) and 5,000 (Old Test) years ago
I can't disagree with anything you said here... (except the bit about freewill...I don't agree that an intervention takes that away, but that's another topic). I don't dispute that you have a consistent opinion, and I'm definitely not above saying that mine changes/has changed/likely WILL change again on all questions of scripture/faith/religion/dogma/biblical 'stuff' in general. I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything, and that the more I read/learn/explore/discover, the more my opinions/ideas change. However, just because the words are historically consistent/unchanging, doesn't mean anything, imo. :)
Mandora,
Are you the same young college woman (manda maybe) that was interacting with TIO and the Queen of Light and Joy say 3 to 5 years ago?
If so, I hope you are doing well. Two kids. Double Wow!! You photo is beautiful. It seems you are prospering - awesome!!!
q - aka hill country grump
Hey Mandora,
It is you. You are so beautiful. I love the photo of you with one of your kids!!!
I also love it when young people grow into adulthood and being enjoying the gift of life!!!
q
I visited several web pages however the audio quality
for audio songs existing at this website is truly fabulous.
thanx for sharing nice blog information
Post a Comment