Wednesday, April 19, 2006

It's that time Harley :)

harleydavidsonandthemarlboroman

No, it's not actually a movie review you are about to read. It is that statement that I say to the "other" lady in my life every spring. The statement itself just reminds me of one of the greatest movies of all time. Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man. In the movie, Marlboro uses the line "Harley...it's that time again." They then hop on their bike's and get into all kinds trouble. Cool ;)

Two weeks ago I walked into my shed and said those very words (my other spiritual side) "Harley...it's that time again". Rolled over the engine and drove over 200kms in +1 tempatures at breakneck speeds of....nevermind, my wife might read this.

22

That's my baby! She's LOUD and proud. I built alot of her. Some of it over and over again. Ride an engine hard and fast and you'll spend alot of time blowing it up and re-building. It is no hobby, it is a way of life. Not many understand.

Oh sure there are alot of bike's on the highways and alot of different ride groups. But most are NOT bikers. Motorcycle enthuasists yes, but biker's no way. What defines the biker?

He is set apart in many ways. He is not one of these types like your typical RUB (Rich urban biker) who can be spotted a mile away. They are the one's with the shineist bike's (i.e. no bugs! due to lack of riding) and the cleanest leather's you have ever seen. RUB's like to drive their trucks to the nearest motorcycle rally with their bike's in the back. They unload their bike about a block away, put on their leather's and their "I'm a big bad ass biker for a day" attitudes. They are so obvious it hurts. Sometimes it can hurt them as a "biker" does not buy it and usually expresses that to the individual.

I must credit some of them though..at least they stop to roll around in the ditch first to give off the "appearance" they rode a long way. But a true biker will ride long distance's in the rain, wind, and cold along with the nice weather. Personally, I once did 6 hours straight in the rain. Not as enjoyable but if one consider's themselves a biker then get on the dang thing and ride it!!!

A real biker "Knows" his bike. When broken down he can actually pull his bike apart on the highway and do the required maintenance. Unless of course he blows the engine. In which case he get's a RUB to go home and get his pick up so he can take it to his "own" garage and fix it himself. When other biker's talk "engine" talk a biker actually understands the conversation taking place. He participates and does not just nod his head like a dumbass who has no clue as to what you are talking about. A real biker knows the difference between a "bro" and a phoney.

He has an established group of "brothers" who he is tight with and who understand one another. They understand the hunger and craving to be on the road with the raw power of Harley horse power rumbling underneath.

A few weeks ago I was still suffering the symptoms of PMS (Parked motorcycle syndrome) but today is a brighter day. Time for me , the Harley, and the highway to become one again. Time to feel alive again.

highway

Until next time...

6 comments:

The Intolerant One said...

No I have not. I will check it out soley based on your recommendation.

Is it a good read?

Anonymous said...

Two weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!
You know who I am and I rode for the first time March 18th, sunny, minus 6 and beautiful!
Even riding to work already. Coll this morning. 4, but beautiful!
Six hours in the rain!
Try Swift Current to Pincher Creek in one day, in the rain and wind!
It was beautiful!
Try Richer to Kenora, International Falls, Bemidji, Fargo, in a storm so strong, even the Baptists stayed home!
Beautiful!
Ride as one, ride for One!

The Intolerant One said...

Quack Quack (that's you anonymous):

"You know who I am and I rode for the first time March 18th, sunny, minus 6 and beautiful!"

That doesn't count when old fart's like you drive liquid cooled engines as opposed to a "real" air cooled machine. I believe those "bagger's" also come equipped with a plug in for a heated vest and a built in driver's seat porta potty for when I blow by you at 1600 screamin' strait pipe decibels. (LOL)

"Try Swift Current to Pincher Creek in one day, in the rain and wind!"

There is always one in every crowd that has to try and "one up" on the next guy. Do the same trip on my bike and then I'll be impressed! ;)

"Ride as one, ride for One!"

And all God's children said...AMEN

SteveiT1D said...

TIO,

So my suspicion that you were a crazy psycho biker IS true ;-}

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah;

Mine's also comfortable enough to carry two up when the one with the H-D blows "HIS" mill 7-miles S of Grand Forks ND!

The Intolerant One said...

BF:

(deep sigh) Yup! :)

Quack, quack, (anon.)

You forget something prospect... until your probationary time is finished, as your sponsoring officer, I own you! (evil laugh) So don't forget to forget. "It never really happened, it was all just a terrible dream". Keep reminding me of it and you could be washing my bike forever. :)))

Now go back to sleep.