Monday, September 19, 2005

Multiculturaism - The new human segregation

Why the big hype about multicultarism. Back when the use of the word became the "politically correct" term to use when discussing or promoting unity among various cultures that had come to live together under one nation in the same land, I must admit, the original INTENT behind this movement was very noble. But as I now look back over the last 20 years, what multicultarism set out to accomplish now appears to be heading in the opposite direction and plunging towards reverse discrimination. The original purpose of this movement was to end racial discrimination not reverse or throw it on to another ethnic group. Yet that is what appears to be happening. For example, in the world of sport's, we have The Latino game's..The African American games, or the more recent here in Canada..The North American Indegineous games. We have similar venues in the world of entertainment such as the Spanish actor's awards or the North American Black actor's awards. (Forgive me, some of the names of these events may not be word for word accurate) Most responses I recieve when I pose the question "Why so much emphasis on one particular race?" go something like this...."Well, I think it's great that these people get an oppurtunity to display how proud they are of their cultural background" Too which I might respond.." at the exclusion of other's? So we can point out how special our own group is? I thought we were to be united?"...To which the next response is usually "Well we are, but what is wrong with telling other's how much our particular culture has accomplished and achieved. What it has and can contribute to society. It instills pride back in our people and gives them self worth." My final response I am about to tell you actually took place between myself and very well educated and close Native American friend of mine...I made the following statement "So I guess it would be a good idea then to have the European Caucasian games as the next big cultural event" Too which they responded "Well, no!" "Why not ?" I asked. With their head now bowed slightly toward the ground and in a very admitting and sombering voice the reply came "Because...you would be labelled a racist" My point was made without rubbing it in. Multicultarism has caused more division between people by putting Black's in this corner, Native's in that corner, Chinese over here, East Indians over there. Once again, we totally managed to completely marginalize ourselves from one another. I cannot seem to get my head around how this is supposed to ease racial tensions. I wish that it would but I suspect it is having the opposite effect. In fact racism has now become prevelent in job application's. Recently a friend of mine applied for a Provincial Government job. He was almost immediately contacted as his qualifications were exceptional. According to him, the person on the other end of the phone could not wait to get him down for his interview. They only wanted to confirm something..."do you have your Metis or Treaty card?". " No" he told them. When they asked him why not he told them quite simply "Because I am not an Indian". He was told they would not be hiring him then. He pointed out to them that they JUST finished singing the praises of his application..."and now your not going to hire me because of the color of my skin?". "Sorry, the government has a mandate to hire so many Aboriginals to meet their qouta". How pathetically racist. We have not evolved or broken away from the bigoted views that were once held in decades past. We have gone from discriminating against one group of people and are now simply doing it to another. So much for uniting as human being's regardless of skin color or cultural background. Well, before I get labelled as a racist, I think I will take my Caucasian butt and go crawl into bed with my beautiful Cree Indian wife. We are both quite tired from our most excellent dinner visit with our very good, and very black, Nigerian friends. Until next time....

No comments: