However, this is not going to be one of those posts. I have been away for quite sometime. 5 months to be exact, so I thought, if any of you still happen by, I would fill you in on my whereabouts.
It has been a crazy, educational journey that I have been on. As you know, I am a man of prayer. 9 months ago as I looked around my very modest 800 square foot home I realized that when I purchased it 10 years ago I had two kids knee high to a grasshopper. Today I have three who are as tall as the Ent trees in Lord of the Rings. This began my prayer request to God. It was quite simple, "Lord, I am grateful for all that you have blessed me with but I really need more space"
I first took measures to place my house up for sale. When a few potential buyers fell thru due to their own "credit" issues, I took that as God's way of saying that I will not be going anywhere. Which left me questioning. "Does the Lord feel I have enough space?", "Maybe this is just not the right time just because I might think it is maybe He see's something down the road that I do not".
The Lord made it clear to me that I was staying put but I was going to learn something in this life that I never imagined I would. He directed to my local bank where I discovered they had what was called an "Add on mortage loan". In other words, one can get the money to renovate their home without taking out a loan but could, instead, have the cost "ported" onto their excisiting mortage.
The financial end of doing this is far more cost effective then trying to buy a larger home. This is where the "educational" portion came into play. God said "And your going to build it!" In other words, except where absolutley neccessary, I was not going to contract ANY of the work out. I would build it with my own hands. A labour of love for the family. Easy to say, problem was is I am by no means a carpenter and have cerrtainly NEVER built a house.
But God said He would provide the knowledge, skills and labourers and I would take care of the rest. Believe it or not, that is exactly how it all went down. I am now in the finishing stages and was even able to celebrate Christmas in it. God saw the bigger picture. My need for more space would not have been easily accomodated with an insane mortage. Especially in todays economic landslide into the abyss. When I began the planning stages of this project back in March (2008) I certainly did not see the market heading where it has today. But I know that God did.
In this, one of life's lessons, God spared me from a foolish mortage amount that could have sunk me and at the same time provided me with a mountain of knowledge from start to finish when it comes to bulding a house. Right from dealing with Planning boards, aqquiring all the neccessary permits, designing my home/blueprints, ordering all materials, organising a crew (made up some very solid friends/family who sacrificed a lot) right down the finishing touches.
As exhausting as it has all been (work all day, come home and work on the house all night and ALL weekends) I am so grateful for the knowledge I have obtained, the friendships that have I hgave solidified, anbd the space I now have.
Merry Christmas to all and a very Happy and prosperous New Year. My acid tongue shall return in the New Year :)
Until next time...
12 comments:
Nice to see you back TIO. Maybe if i prayed i might get my shower fixed.
If we lived on the same chunk of land I'd be there to do it for ya.
Alas we do not. Start praying girl :)
I would probably get a carpenter (or was he the son of a carpenter (or were they both carpenters)).
Yes! Does that help? lol
TIO
Welcome back! The house looks great; you've been a very busy and, it seems, quite competent beaver! I don't know how you managed to live in 800 sq. ft. with 3 kids. I'm rattling around in a 2600 sq. footer with just my grown daughter and 4 cats and a dog. Getting ready to put it on the market and downsize. 800 ft for 5 people...Wow. How much added space do you have now?
Happy New Year!
Hi Karen!
Happy New Year to you as well :)
I basically doubled the size. 435 square feet per floor which brings the grand total of space to 1,690 square feet. It's Awesome!!! I tell my kids to get lost....and they can! LOL
Well, well, well it lives and breathes...
I put myself thru college roofing, framing and the like. Looks like nice work. Good angles. Clean lines. Could use a step up to the door... those come prefab nowadays... Basement!!! Wow, I'm impressed.
You should be proud. Now put it to God's use helping others that can't do it for themselves. In the U.S. we have a charity called "habitat for humanity". Using people with some skills we build houses using donated materials and sometimes donated land. Cost to the eventual owner - $0.
God is great all the time.
Q
Hey Q!
Habitat for humanity is actually quite big up here as well.
I fully intend on helping out those who I can, when I can. Already have a project hooked up soon to help a fellow biker amputee who could really use some new walls.
Take care friend :)
You certainly need a step down from the front door. Very impressive though. Good job.
Blessings on you and yours...
q
Thanks Q. I certainly miss writing these days. Life has dealt me a handful and I literally have no time to get on here.
I think about it and miss it. I really hope to get on here writing again in the near future. Believe me, I have A LOT to say ;) lol
thanx for sharing nice blog information
Post a Comment