Saturday, February 16, 2008

Reading between the lines

I recently received the following e-mail from a dear and well intentioned friend.

"Check out Barack Obama in a Town Hall meeting in Elko, Nevada on January 18, 2008 - that would be just a few days ago. Note how he was NOT scripted or calculated wondering what "the right thing" was to say - he said what is Right and what he believes."



Although I do not follow American politics as closely as I do Canadian politics, I still pay attention. After all, let's be realistic, everyone who wants to have the slightest inkling as to the direction our world will take will always pay at least some attention to it's predominant superpower.

Anyway, with the e-mail was sent the following Youtube link on just what Obama said. Listen closely and then you decide. I posted my responses to my friend underneath the clip that I sent back to her. She hasn't responded back to me since...at least regarding this issue.



(Barack qouted yellow in italics)

I (TIO) disagree (name withheld). Sounds very well rehearsed from my end. I have heard all that political verbal diarrhea many times leading up to an election.

1st, Barack notes that it was "A great question" (way to stroke a potential voter)

2nd "The first thing we have to do is acknowledge the tragic history" C'mon (name withheld), how many times have you heard that line?

3rd Barack acknowledges "we have not always abided by our treaties, we have not always been honest and truthful" This point is often conceded in preliminary's. It is called political pandering/posturing. Post election it will be called political rhetoric. Democrat or Republican, they have ALL said this many times before and they have accomplished?????

4th "and this is history we have to acknowledge" Hmmm more acknowledgment. That is not action. I am willing to bet there is a promise coming up that says "If elected President"!

5th "We can't just have Indian bureau's meeting with the tribes we got have the President of the United States meeting on a regular basis..." 2 points here.
1) I will believe that when I see it and
2) if Barack said "Indians" and "tribes" up here (in Canada) he would be labeled a bigoted racist not applauded. (Just a note of interest I picked up on)

6th "We have to make sure there are the adequate resources to deal with the extraordinary difficulties that exist" You haven't heard that line before either???? Not only sounds scripted but plagiarized from elections past.

7th "That is not just an embarrassment for the US government that is an embarrassment for all of us" More blah, blah. Remember these words should he become the next President. I am quite convinced that he won't recall them.

8th "and ALL children should have basic health care and basic education AND THAT IS WHAT I WILL BE FIGHTING FOR AS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" And there is the "promise"! Elect me and I will address all your woes. How? By acknowledging them? Acknowledgment is not action. I suspect Barack, (although he may not have expected that question right then and there,) definitely anticipated it somewhere down the road of campaigning. He would not be a good politician if he did not. However, it is my opinion that Barack's answers were "standard protocol". He orated his words well which had him come across as sincere, like what he was saying was original. He is a product that is marketing himself. I don't buy it. Simply because I have heard it all before. Almost verbatim. I am somewhat surprised that you have! But there is something else I wonder...even if he were the very first politician to actually take action on treaty issues, he is an American politician so what good does that do up here?

That was the jist of it all. However I still hold my views, based on what I read and observe, regarding the process of campaigning leading up to the eventual presidential race next year. Overall the Democratic preliminaries have become a sad state of "differences". I guess that is better then "affairs", right Hilary? It is not a matter of who is the best qualified but rather a contest of "Will the next potential President of the United States have black skin or breasts?" Too bad these are always the focus as opposed to the actual qualifications of the individual.



I think Americans would have been better served if the Democratic candidates were either both women or both black. Who will win? Well, it appears Americans are ready for change. But when the lines are divided between race and gender there really is only one Democrat left. My fellow Americans, let me introduce to you the next President of the United States, John McCain :)



Until next time...

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

TIO,

As an American, I'm not embarrassed. The only way for nobody to be worse off than anybody else is to make everybody have an equally miserable life. While I haven't actively sought to help the Native Americans, I haven't tried to hold them back either.

Do these folks need help? Yes. They are not unlike the poor Hispanics and Blacks of this nation except that they are not located in the inner cities. They are out in the boonies of Oklahoma, East Texas, New Mexico, etc. Would I like these people to have a better life? Of course. Were they historically mistreated? Yes. But not by me! Am I “obligated” to help these people? Not by law and not by a debt, but I choose to help them. Am I willing to help these people? Of course.

Interesting historical fact that is not germane: the small town that I live in formed a treaty with the Comanche Nation around 1840. It was the only treaty between an American Indian nation and European settlers that was never broken. Some tribes have events here because of that.

My Rationale
I am a limited resource and have some responsibilities and constraints of my own:
1. First things first. I'm pretty busy trying to actively support my family!
2. Be realistic. The number of people in the world, America, Texas, and even in my small town that have problems far exceeds what any person one person or small group can solve.
3. Direct aide. While some folks, like Lucy, want to help by changing societies, I think that is a fools errand and at best a blind experiment that has potentially pervasive consequences on both individual lives and nations. Instead, I seek to help others one-on-one by building homes (Habitat for Humanity), giving money (taxes, church, United Way, MD, individual hand outs, etc.), raising funds (United Way campaigner for many years), church mission trips to repair homes (locally, in the Texas valley, and in New Orleans), church sponsorship of kids in Africa, provide money to build water wells in Africa, food for the local food pantry, volunteering to tutor kids at our local schools, etc.

Barrack is talking to the far left, and the American Indians that were present.

Q

Anonymous said...

TIO,

Oh yeah, my wife is 1/8th Cherokee...

Q

Falling on a bruise said...

I follow politics of as many of the major countries as possible, especially when there is an election coming up but the American election takes so long i usually wait until the two candidates have been chosen before really taking notice of who stands for what.
As for McCain, i know very little about him apart from quite a few Republicans accusing him of not being right wing enough. I have no idea if he is or not but i do recall him answering how he would deal with Iran by singing "Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran" to the tune of barbara ann. I am already thinking he is not my cup of tea.

Anonymous said...

Lucy,

Yeah. Maybe we'll see if Obama or Hillary act any differently. The American politicans say different things, but tend act about the same.

Both parties use the military when it suits their needs.

Both support and use taxes to redistribute the wealth - they just disagree on the percentage (25% or 35%).

Both interpret the law as they see fit (Dems let J. Edgar Hoover run all over the constitution, Kennedy's sanctioned assasination attempts on Castro).

Republicans pass laws that scare the democrats (privacy laws). Democrats pass laws that scare the republicans (gun control).

Mox nix. Das ist alles...

Q

Nog said...

Ye,
A bit of info on American lingo: the words "tribe" and "Indian" aren't considered racist terms and are used by "tribes of Indians" (even if Native American is slightly more PC (Politically Correct)).

I do think that the United States have not honored their treaties with the Native Americans (Indians or whatever) and that this offense cannot be totally overlooked. My main contention, which I think puts me largely in agreement with you TIO, is that the Indians want the best of both sides. They want to get all of the privileges of being an American while at the same time receiving the boon of some sort of restitution to oppressed peoples. It's remarkable how well Asians and Jews do, groups that receive very little government aid in comparison to groups like Urban Blacks and some Hispanics.

Another note on the whole Indian (again forgive us Texans for any dialectical misunderstandings we cause, "Indian" it isn't a bad word in the States) issue is handled different ways in different places. In some states, Indians have essentially been reduced to pauperism by Federal aid which actually creates disincentives for them to go get jobs and make something of themselves. In other areas, usually where the Federal Government isn't throwing a lot of money at "those poor needy savages"
the Indians tend to do quite well. In Oklahoma where I have a number of kin, the Indians are sort of a "landed gentry" due to the constant flow of Oklahoma oil leases and the distinct absence of reservations.

So where the Federal Government intervenes, the Indians on their reservations (which are ironically often run on five year plans, as in the Soviet Union) tend to do worse. Where they aren't reduced to a horrible circle of dependence, they do fine and are often even financially better off than most.


On McCain: He's a bit of a, how shall I put it, political whore. He was something of a "moderate" for his entire political career but in order to win the nomination he went off the other end to where even a good libertarian-conservative like me can't stand. His strategy is to come off as a fascist who loves war, torture, executions, government wiretapping of everything, etc...

Why the ultra-conservatives don't like this new "McCain 2: Sellout Edition" is beyond me.


But I'd hope that even a "Canadian Conservative" could see the horrid flaws in the madness which is called John McCain.

The Intolerant One said...

Nog,

A bit of info on American lingo: the words "tribe" and "Indian" aren't considered racist terms and are used by "tribes of Indians"

I grew up using the same terms and I had many "Indian" friends (Married one of them) Since that time (in Canada) they have gone from Indian to Native to Native American to Aboriginals to First Nations to whatever the flavor of the day is tommorrow. I was actually mocking the riducoulesness of political correctness when I made the statement.

It's remarkable how well Asians and Jews do, groups that receive very little government aid in comparison to groups like Urban Blacks and some Hispanics.

Excellent point!

Falling on a bruise said...

We still call them Red Indians over here.

Anonymous said...

Lucy,

very uncool.

Q

Anonymous said...

TIO
So what's your point? Don't you think any other candidate would have said about the same things?
Obama is a man "of the people" kind of guy. Charismatic, with the ability to motivate. He talks a lot, but doesn't really say much. He's young, idealistic, and maybe too much so. But if he gets the Democratic nomination, I'll vote for him over the rabid McCain.

Anonymous said...

Karen,

"a man of THE people"...

He is "a man of SOME people". Don't go projecting the reaction of Democrats and some moderates to him onto the rest of us.

His talk doesn't stir me at all - though it is easy to admire his clearly articulate, calm, powerful, and intelligent delivery.

I have managed to avoid the problems that most people seem to struggle with. I know that much of my good life has been due to fate and luck. I also know that I have worked hard, delayed gratification (been saving and investing now for 38 years and I'm only 52), missed out on many things (excessive alcohol, drugs, sexual permiscuity - I can't even speel it, gambling, tobbaco consumption...).

Perhaps I'd be "one of THE people" if I had made different decisions in my life... But I didn't and neither did a lot of other Americans. Unfortunately for me and some others, McCain, like Obama, doesn't stir me either (actually none of the Republican candidates moved me).

Q

Falling on a bruise said...

Is calling Eskimo's, Eskimo's also uncool?

Anonymous said...

Lucy,

Yep. They aren't an Native American (U.S.) nation, but I think we (Americans) are supposed to call them the Anuit Nation.

TIO should know better than me...

Q

The Intolerant One said...

Karen,

"So what's your point? Don't you think any other candidate would have said about the same things?

Yes I do that was exactly my point in my response to my "friend" (who is Metis herself). She came across as all "pumped up" for Obama like what he said was what "everyone" was waiting to hear.

I have heard the rheotirc every election and the point with her tha I was trying to addres was just what you said: Don't you think any other candidate would have said about the same things"

We are on the same page here.

He talks a lot, but doesn't really say much. He's young, idealistic, and maybe too much so.

Again, I agree with your analyisis.

Hee is a Canadian columinsts perspective on Obama It is written by Greg Weston out of Ottawa (our Nations captial). He is known for his strong critique of our conservative government. Although in fairness, he was pretty vocal against the liberals when they were in power.

Anyway, he brings another interesting perspective to your elections and how they can affect us. I am going to say NO to Obama...even though I don't get a vote :)

The Intolerant One said...

Lucy/Q,

Regarding Eskimo's. Their eskimo's...until liberals legislate the term offensive :)

The "other" term I believe Q was referring to is Innuit.

Anonymous said...

Yep, that is it.

Doesn't come up as a topic very often in Texas (the Europeans that settled here before my family came to the US wiped out the Commanche, Apache, and a few other smaller Native American Nations). The discussion here is usually about the Commanche and rarely the Apache.

I cain't speel ether.

Q

Falling on a bruise said...

Europeans, and the British especially, wiped out people wherever we went Q and looking at Iraq, we still are. I have heard nothing to change my mind that the British were probably the most evil country in history.

Anonymous said...

Lucy,

You are too harsh. I don't think any empire ever rose to the status of ...empire... without a dramatic amount of violence. It is a human condition...

Rome, Egypt, Israel, Mongolia, Ottomans, Greece, Spain, Chinese dynasties all used equal force in their time.

Q

Anonymous said...

Q

Perhaps I'd be "one of THE people" if I had made different decisions in my life... But I didn't and neither did a lot of other Americans.

I really have no idea what you're getting at with that comment. I just meant that Obama can be recognized by the average American as one of them, as their neighbor, as it were. Because of his charisma, his background, and the ease and comfort he has with people.

Anonymous said...

Hey TIO

Check this out:

http://obamamessiah.blogspot.com/

(gag)

Karen

The Intolerant One said...

Karen,

Yikes! I read quite a bit on that site. Literally scary. I started wondering if this was the planet's next anti-christ the way people looked to him like some sort of demi-god. He seemed to arrogantly (by displaying a false humility) absorb it all.

You still going to vote for this guy?

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Whtat you say may be true about him. What I'm saying is that he doesn't resonate with me. The topics he dicussess are not that interesting to me. The problems he thinks we have I don't have. Our interests seem to be different.

Q

Anonymous said...

TIO
My state primary isn't till May.
My intention is to vote for Hillary, if she's still in the running. But if she doesn't take Ohio and Texas, she may be out of the equation, before I get to have a say in the matter.

Now Nader is throwing his hat in the ring. He will act as a spoiler, in favor of the GOP. I don't want to see another hawk republican in the oval office, so if it comes down to it, yes, I will have to vote for the guy with the messiah complex, over the narcissistic egomaniac, and against the McBush wannabe.

I since found out that website I showed you is a parody site. However, it uses all true quotes, stories and (Mostly)pictures to make its point. There are a couple of photoshopped pix in there, but many of the campaign ones aren't.

Q
He doesn't resonate with me either. But I have been stirred by watching him a couple of times. I wasn't even really listening to what he was saying. I was just reacting to the way in which he was taking control of the crowd and motivating it as one body. Or in the words of James Taylor, "It doesn't matter much what she says, the words are nice the way they sound."

I just hope the guy has some balls to go with the fancy rhetoric he spews. And that the integrity he claims to have is attached to a spine. Cos he's going to need both as well as some experienced advisers if he achieves the presidency.

Anonymous said...

High Five Karen!

I agree with McCain's solutions to a lot of issues (half).

I can't vote for Obama because I disagree with him on almost every issue. I think the only one we agree on is probably the death penalty - though I haven't heard is position.

But to be perfectly honest I can't imagine ever voting Democrat - liberal. It isn't a bias or closed mind. It is a fundamental disagreement about how I view history versus what I hear from liberals, a fundamental disagreement about the affect history has on today's problems (my family came to the US way after the Native Americans were wiped out and way after slavery and I don't see that I have any obligation to make up for past transcretions committed by others), and worse a fundamental disagreement about how to solve the problems we face today (I'm all about "teach a person to fish" as opposed to "giving them a fish." I'm also good with letting people suffer or relish in the consequences of their choices).

Q

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I just heard an example that illustrates how I don't connect with Mr. Obama. He just said "people don't want to feel left out anymore".

Wrong! As long as I'm taking care of my business and don't harm others, then leave me alone.

But I'm not left alone. I already need a driver license to use my car, a concealed handgun license to effectively protect my family, must pay taxes for many things taht do not benefit me, etc.

Worse, if I don't watch it (and sometimes even if I do), people will use the governement to take more things from me. There seem to be a lot of people that think I have more than I should have - at least they don't feel they have as much as they should have and they are willing to take it from me by using the governement.

I wish they would leave me the hell alone.

My point. I don't feel like one of "those" people he is addressing. I don't feel left out. I fell imposed upon. Mr. Obama, leave me alone.

Q

BasherBeaver said...

Obama is spewing typical political rhetoric that could have come from any candidate. What did y'all expect, the truth? That would go something like this :

"If elected I will ignore all concerns except those of the most powerful and wealthy, and nothing will change except the debt, which will only go up; oh, and the war, can't forget the war, that will go on until my rich friends have killed enough people and made enough money. They are greedy so don't hold your breath that the war will end any time soon. Suckers!"

Celana Hernia said...

I visited several web pages however the audio quality
for audio songs existing at this website is truly fabulous.