Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Judge who stole Christmas

grinch_carrey

It never ceases to amaze me how there is no end to the absolute asinine, redundant, mean spirited, ignorant, and brazen religious bigotry that is displayed every year at Christmas by some "hoity toity" public official going out of their way to remove all that encompasses the Christmas season for the (gag me) sake of political correctness and their cautious approach not to offend other's

Last year in Boston, Mass. public officials wanted to declare the annual Christmas tree a "Holiday tree" so as not to offend other minority groups who do not celebrate Christmas. The year before it was going on up here in Manitoba when we had a similar circumstances at a well frequented cultural area known as the "Forks". And the previous year before that our illustrious Provincial Minister of multiculturalism (yeah, like we need one of those) Becky Barrett declared the annual Christmas tree in the legislative buildings a "Multicultural tree".

All this insanity over the years continues around the same old BS rhetoric. "We, the politically elite, do not want to offend ANYBODY, so we must demonstrate our tolerance towards those of diverse cultural backgrounds"

Let me translate this into reality for you. What a stupid and redundant statement like that REALLY says is "We, the one's who are far superior to you, would like to Lord and abuse our high profile positions by manipulating our powers to remove all that is Christmas in the name of tolerance by displaying our own intolerance for one singled out group known as Christians."

Every year, somewhere else it continues to happen using the same old line about the trees offending other cultures. Problem with that line of crap is none of the other "cultures" are actually saying they are offended. In fact, a public media poll they did last year her in Manitoba, with the Forks Holiday tree debacle, many cultural minorities were stopped and asked the question "Does a Christmas tree offend you?". The response was unanimous across the board. Not only did it not offend them but they were insulted by the "elite" for implicating them as the reason for the "non offensive" change.

In Toronto, Canada (and these people really do believe they are the center of the Universe) ONE bigoted judge is at again. Justice Marion Cohen, a Toronto judge, has ordered a Christmas tree out of a downtown provincial courthouse lobby, saying it's not an appropriate symbol to non-Christians. Once again, common decency and respect for the Christian aspect of the holiday season is blatantly discriminated against. Just who is really being offended here? People who are non Christians or one judge with a huge chip of religious intolerance on her spiteful little shoulder? Let's see what the people who work in the building have to say. I am quite sure they can't ALL be Christians.

(You can read the rest of it here!)


Alright Marion, allow me to have my two cents as well since you are so big on what is appropriate and what is not.

- We do not all recognize Halloween or Wicca, therefore so as not to offend all of us non wiccan's, we demand you remove any witches or symbols that make any reference to witchcraft thereof.

- We do not all recognize Judaism and therefore in keeping with "appropriateness" we demand that all the Menorahs be removed from every and all celebrations of Hanukkah as this may be deemed offensive to the many non practicing Judaists.

And while your at it Oh great and wise Judge Marion, we demand the cancellation of Ramadan for all of us non Muslims, as well as the removal of the lighted lamps of the Hindu's during Divali to accommodate all of us non Hindus.

Last but not least, let us not forget the atheist's, who's own symbol can be considered offensive to those who believe in a deity. If you "accommodate" one you must accommodate all. That would include all of us non atheists!

Joke Marion..er...(ahem)...I mean Judge Marion this is Canada. A democracy that is home to many different cultures and cultural celebrations. One is not obligated to celebrate anyone else's traditional customs and/or holidays. But neither are they entitled to simply remove them. Especially by passing the buck off on other people who never claimed "offense" was taken in the first place. That is just a cloak to hide one's own bigotry toward another group, in this case the Christians (again)

This yearly ritual of political correctness has become as ridiculous as myself telling a stranger that because "I do not celebrate your birthday you are not entitled to a birthday cake because it is a symbol of a day I do not recognize and therefore it is offensive." Get the picture?

Judge Marion, you want to be a grinch at Christmas time? That is you right in this country. Don't like Christians or symbols of our celebrations? Fine don't look at them or recognize them. Go home and be miserable this year. But if you want to live in my country where I am expected to tolerate a lot of BS flung my way as a Christian then I expect the same from your end. If you would rather live in a society that "dictates" the terms of what ALL must accept then you are just as entitled to leave my country. Saddam would have embraced your dictorial style with open arms.

In the meantime, Marion, may God bless you anyway this CHRISTmas season (yes I sincerely mean that) and may He soften your hard heart.

Of course I would not be The Intolerant One if I did not leave you (Marion) with at least one more offensive Christmas image/symbol. (Viewer descretion is advised!)

His name is Jesus

I know, pretty offensive huh?

Until next time...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

TIO

You forget that the "Christmas" tree has nothing to do with the Christian religious holiday. So removing it is really being PC toward those who do not recognize paganism, and just trying to sort out the confusion for the TRUE christians.

We do not all recognize Judaism and therefore in keeping with "appropriateness" we demand that all the Menorahs be removed from every and all celebrations of Hanukkah as this may be deemed offensive to the many non practicing Judaists.
Yeah, those pesky menorrahs are EVERYWHERE. On public property, in public squares, on TV. Hanukkah songs are irritatingly played over and over on the sound systems in stores while we shop. It just can't be escaped. Then there are those annoying Jewish charity bell-ringers who accost us outside of stores, giving us mean glances if we don't throw change in their pots as they holler "Happy HAH-nukkah!" I agree, it's just awful. Those Jews are just so in-your-face.

And while your at it Oh great and wise Judge Marion, we demand the cancellation of Ramadan for all of us non Muslims, as well as the removal of the lighted lamps of the Hindu's during Divali to accommodate all of us non Hindus. Oh, the Muslims and the Hindus at holiday time! They're the sneaky ones. You have to go and search them out for a bit of rampant in-your-face-ism! I hate it when I want to complain about someone and they're not even doing anything for me to complain about.

You forgot Kwaanzaa. Don't you get frustrated when you think you've found a pretty roll of Jesus-birthing-present-wrapping-paper, only to discover it's of the Kwaanzaa celebratory variety?

Halloween doesn't have anything to do with the Holiday season involving the
"Holiday" tree. And it's a purely commercial and secular day now anyways. But I see your point, cos I know there are folks who are deeply offended by that day, and by celebrating personal birthdays too.

I think I will start a movement, beginning in my own home. To combat this terrible PC tragedy, I will henceforth call my "Christmas Tree" my "Pagan Tree" and encourage others to do the same.
That should go a long way towards solving the problem, dontcha think?

Krystalline Apostate said...

karen:
You forget that the "Christmas" tree has nothing to do with the Christian religious holiday. So removing it is really being PC toward those who do not recognize paganism, and just trying to sort out the confusion for the TRUE christians.
Ummm...I looked that up, & the actual tradition dates to
"The modern custom, however, although likely related, cannot be proven to be directly descended from pagan tradition. It can be traced to 16th century Germany; Ingeborg Weber-Keller (Marburg professor of European ethnology) identified as the earliest reference a Bremen guild chronicle of 1570 which reports how a small fir was decorated with apples, nuts, dates, pretzels and paper flowers, and erected in the guild-house, for the benefit of the guild members' children, who collected the dainties on Christmas day."
There are some theories as to its pagan origins (Dionysius, Yggdrasil), but I'm going to favor Occam's razor on this 1, & go w/the 16th CE Germany explanation.

TIO:
I think you went a little over the top on this 1. While I think bitching about a tree is a little out there.
"We, the one's who are far superior to you, would like to Lord and abuse our high profile positions by manipulating our powers to remove all that is Christmas in the name of tolerance by displaying our own intolerance for one singled out group known as Christians."
What, you ran outta cheeks? ;)
Last but not least, let us not forget the atheist's, who's own symbol can be considered offensive to those who believe in a deity.
Ummm...you can complain about it if your (or my) govt. ever DOES erect said symbol. I'd like an example, if you'd be so kind.
I think the B-day cake analogy was a tad lame.
Personally, I'm all for 'Happy Holidays' as a greeting. You can say 'Merry xmas' to your heart's content.
How much of the religious demographic has changed there since last year? This might prove to be indicative of a change.

Anonymous said...

KA
There are some theories as to its pagan origins (Dionysius, Yggdrasil), but I'm going to favor Occam's razor on this 1, & go w/the 16th CE Germany explanation.
OK, but the tree itself has bothing to do with the birth of Christ. Christians shouldn't get their nightshirts in a knot over ownership of it's name.

The Intolerant One said...

Karen,

"You forget that the "Christmas" tree has nothing to do with the Christian religious holiday."

No, actually I did not. It was in the back of mind while writing this piece. (Tried slipping one past ya, but you are too quick for me;) KA also makes a valid point of support as well. The big BUT here is that it was in fact the judge herself that made reference to it as a Christian symbol and THAT was her rationale for ordering it removed. Let's also not negate the fact that over the last century and half it has become recognized as a Christmas tree. Christian or not (personally, I recognize the Nativity as the most vital part of the holiday season) for some reason the tree has been linked to us and the common trend of reasoning behind the changing or removal of a tree is not to offend the "non Christians. I do not think it would be taken so personal by many Christians if changing or removing the tree/name were not presented in such a negative fashion.

But stating that a friggin' tree is offensive to non Christians is just a another negative connotation of invoking dissent towards Christians. Your right! Like we had anything to do with the tree in the first place. However, it is still a Christmas tree and should remain as such. This yearly tradition of quibbling over what the tree is called to appease political correctness has become redundant.

"Yeah, those pesky menorrahs are EVERYWHERE. On public property, in public squares, on TV. Hanukkah songs are irritatingly played over and over on the sound systems in stores while we shop. It just can't be escaped. Then there are those annoying Jewish charity bell-ringers who accost us outside of stores, giving us mean glances if we don't throw change in their pots as they holler "Happy HAH-nukkah!" I agree, it's just awful. Those Jews are just so in-your-face."

I denote your sarcasm. However, the yearly rituals you describe, for the most part, are purely secular. Santa Claus is also not considered a "Christian" symbol. The "irritating" songs that are played over and over again sing about "Santa Claus" coming to town not about baby Jesus because that, of course, would be too offensive. After one has just brought his/her kid into sit on Santa's lap inside there he is again outside ringing that dang bell over his charity pot saying that politically incorrect term "Merry Christmas" and the reverberating to "Happy Holidays". Come to think of it I would suggest that it is mostly secular commercialism that seems to be sticking point of irritation for you.

The Intolerant One said...

KA,

"I think you went a little over the top on this 1. "

I would not entirely agree. The point I am trying to get across, and I explained in Karen's response, was the reasoning given by the judge. What if I told you that I also do not recognize the tree as a Christian symbol? Why, in that case, should I be so offended? Because she states that the tree is offensive to non Christians. Somehow Chrsistianity is taking the rap for offending "other's" which is a far reaching claim. Especially for a Judge who demands "evidence" on a daily basis to validate those claims. If the tree has become so offensive then where are all these "other" cultures/religions who are supposedly so offended by it all.

The bottom line for me in this KA, and I know some of my frustration of it shows, is the ludicrously of it all in the name of political correctness. It has become absolutely stupid already. I just don't get it anymore. Even in my atheist days I was never offended by the Nativity, Christmas tree's, someone using the term "Merry Christmas", Christian symbolism (even though I was not fond of Christians at the time). I wrote this piece with a little bit of my heart on my sleeve because PC is going just too bloody far these days. Who are these anal types to decide what is offensive and what is not?

Pornography involving children is offensive but these same judges put the pedophiles back about in to the street's. I would have to suggest that their idea of "appropriateness" and what is offensive is terribly skewed.

"What, you ran outta cheeks? ;)"

I am not the Christ. Slap one and there is only one left to turn. After that , fight's on! (In love of course) :)

"Ummm...you can complain about it if your (or my) govt. ever DOES erect said symbol. I'd like an example, if you'd be so kind."

Your not familiar with this?

http://static.flickr.com/138/324259923_655a8ae212_t.jpg

And for the record I was NOT complaining I was being facetious with intent to demonstrate the stupidity of the whole "Christmas tree" conspiracy that we have to endure every year at this time.

"I think the B-day cake analogy was a tad lame."

I am not surprised. You think all my analogy's are lame. You have a better one?

"Personally, I'm all for 'Happy Holidays' as a greeting. You can say 'Merry xmas' to your heart's content."

Personally, it would not bother me how one greeted me. The exception comes when one espouses and the sings the praises of an all inclusive and pluralistic society only to demonstrate it by exclusion of one single group based on personal bias.

The Intolerant One said...

KA,

Sorry that link is not working to my Flickr acct. regarding atheistic symbol.

Try this one

Krystalline Apostate said...

TIO:
If the tree has become so offensive then where are all these "other" cultures/religions who are supposedly so offended by it all.
I did ask if the demographics for that region changed.
The bottom line for me in this KA, and I know some of my frustration of it shows, is the ludicrously of it all in the name of political correctness. It has become absolutely stupid already.
Oh, I agree. Problem is, nothing gets done unless someone OVERREACTS. Man is an extreme animal.
I just don't get it anymore. Even in my atheist days I was never offended by the Nativity, Christmas trees, someone using the term "Merry Christmas", Christian symbolism (even though I was not fond of Christians at the time). I wrote this piece with a little bit of my heart on my sleeve because PC is going just too bloody far these days. Who are these anal types to decide what is offensive and what is not?
Hey, they can have nativity scenes & xmas trees to their heart’s content. In the USA? Not on state or federal land, though. Bear in mind we have all these fundie extremists who take a mile if given an inch. Today xmas trees, tomorrow, boycotts threatened for mocking a xmas song.
Pornography involving children is offensive but these same judges put the pedophiles back about in to the streets. I would have to suggest that their idea of "appropriateness" and what is offensive is terribly skewed.
Err…I think that’s too broad a brush. Whether a judge releases a criminal (any criminal) is based on the case at hand, NOT what that person is accused of. Otherwise, all you’d have to do is point & cry ‘J’accuse!’, & that person’s life is screwed. Even if they’re innocent.
I am not the Christ. Slap one and there is only one left to turn. After that , fight's on! (In love of course) :)
Oh, limit’s 2. I forgot. ;)
Your not familiar with this?
I got that card in my wallet. Yep, card-carrying atheist. My point was that neither of our govts. have erected said symbol.
And for the record I was NOT complaining I was being facetious with intent to demonstrate the stupidity of the whole "Christmas tree" conspiracy that we have to endure every year at this time.
Hey, you got every right to complain, if you see fit. Every year? I thought it just happened in 2006?
I am not surprised. You think all my analogy's are lame. You have a better one?
All your others were fair ones. Just that 1.
Personally, it would not bother me how one greeted me. The exception comes when one espouses and the sings the praises of an all inclusive and pluralistic society only to demonstrate it by exclusion of one single group based on personal bias.
See, here’s where I think you’re terribly off. Xtianity used to own everything. They ran the govt.: they ran everything. Neither Ramadan nor Hannukah was ever included. Such a thing 100 yrs ago? Unthinkable. It’s hardly exclusion if youse guys had the monopoly on the holiday thing for say, some hundreds of years, is it? I think the tree thing’s a little over the top. Not so, any of the other things.
Karen’s appropriately pointed out that xmas had nothing to do w/the birth anywhoways. I think it’s a tempest in a teapot, meself. There’s nothing to prevent anyone from having the tree in their own home, is there? Now THAT, I would protest loudly over, and long.

Anonymous said...

TIO
it was in fact the judge herself that made reference to it as a Christian symbol and THAT was her rationale for ordering it removed.

I don't see anything explaining what brought this matter before the judge in the first place. In her decision, she says people of other religions were confronted by it when entering the bldg., and offended. Did she take it upon herself to jump to this conclusion, or has she had complaints from the public?

Perhaps she is merely agreeing with you that, by tradition, the tree has become a fixture of Christianity, and people of other faiths, or none at all, might indeed take offense at having Christian decorations provided in a governmental setting, thereby favoring one religion over another.

You can't have it both ways. The tree isn't both secular and religious. Keep your nativity scenes, and put them up on any PRIVATE property you like. Just admit that the secular stuff is secular, and don't try to own that too. That's where the confusion comes in.

The "irritating" songs that are played over and over again sing about "Santa Claus" coming to town not about baby Jesus
Ah...but that's where you're wrong my friend. Around here, the religious music is VERY popular over the loudspeakers. I wouldn't mind at all if it was all the secular stuff. And they never play any of the parodies I so enjoy, not even the milder ones.

And it's not Old Claus who's ringing that bell by the pot outside the stores. It's a "God Bless You" Salvation Army volunteer or a store employee. They're having such a hard time getting people to do it lately that they're having to pay them minimum wage now in some places.

I thoroughly enjoy the Santa part of the season. What irritates me is Christians getting all caught up in the commercialization of that part of it, then crying "Foul" and "Jesus" when the line between religion and secular gets crossed.
If they're going to be all about Jesus, then they should do so, and not care what stores call their sales, or say to their customers, or worry whether a stupid tree still has Christ's name on it.

As for anyone who's offended by a tree, they have too much time on their hands, I think. And if it's for religious reasons, then they should be being all about their own religions too.

Mandora the Explorer said...

Oh no.

The world is ending.

I AGREED w your post!!!

*faints and hits the floor*


ps - sooo.... the Queen tells me that she got a cryptic email the other day indicating a possible visit. :) I'll get the steak ready sir.
I'd love to argue you in person! ;)

The Intolerant One said...

Hmmm we will see about that ;)

Of course should I materialise it would be a quick swift verbal smackdown rather then an arguement (LOL) (and, no, I don't mean in your favour)

I am a carnivore so in the event of my "possible" arrival just leave the steak on the grill no longer then 40 seconds per side.

Mandora the Explorer said...

whatever.... u talk big... we'll see

iMuslim said...


I am a carnivore so in the event of my "possible" arrival just leave the steak on the grill no longer then 40 seconds per side.


Yuck! I'm an Indian (by origin) carnivore thus all meat must be stewed to the point of falling apart in a curry, yummy.

I do think the whole Xmas tree thing is a lot of hoo-haa over nothing much, but a gew good points have been raised here on the issue of relgious symbolism in public areas which are deemed to be "secular". I don't know about Canada, but most people still view the US as a Christain country. So when the Christians rule, Xmas rules!

Muslims have other problems when it comes to religious holidays. Officially there are only two, Eid-ul-Adha (coming up soon) and Eid-ul-Fitr (after Ramadaan). Some people also want to celebrate the Prophet's birthday, and this kind of thing is popular in Pakistan and the like. Most traditional scholars don't approve though because it was never celebrated by the Prophet or his companions, so we aren't going to earn any extra browny points for doing so.

I suppose that's a key difference between secular hols and religious ones. Seculars hols are all about the fun and games. Religious hols are meant to be a time of joy, but also a time of spiritual reflection which can be quite solemn. And with the Islamic festivals of Eid, the act of celebration in itself is a form of worship. So we have the special Eid prayers and khutbah (speech given by the Imam) - as well as the food and the clothes and the gifts.

Christians also have their special Mass/church service. So when you belittle Xmas into being nothing more than a reason to be merry, you are messing with something important to a lot of people.

Not that any of you guys were doing that, i'm just saying - commercialism sucks.

iMuslim said...

P.S., i think the nativity picture you posted could be deemed racially offensive as Mary (peace be upon her) looks way too Anglo-Saxon, yet she was a Semitic woman! hehe

Krystalline Apostate said...

imuslim:
looks way too Anglo-Saxon, yet she was a Semitic woman!
Hey, that's a valid point.
Cheekbones, forehead...definitely Euro. Probably Norwegian/Scandinavian.
You're Indian? From across the ocean, I presume?
If so, Namiste.

SteveiT1D said...

TIO,

You have to understand, for whatever reason, these people, in their leftist cause are trying to appease the non existent patrons who are offended by these exclusionary symbols. They want to unify the people of the world with political correctness and plastic smiles. Political correctness will come at any cost; Christian sensibilities are expendable as a rule. That said, I am reminded of the Christmas greeting called: A Politically Correct Christmas Greeting

“Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally,

a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year [2007], but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.
(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)”




Now, if you will excuse me, I need to get things ready to go feed the “outdoor urban dwellers”, or my “residentially flexible” friends who enjoy “mortgage-free living.”

Anonymous said...

beowulf
Now, if you will excuse me, I need to get things ready to go feed the “outdoor urban dwellers”, or my “residentially flexible” friends who enjoy “mortgage-free living.”

Good for you.
Soon a young woman and her baby who have no place to go will be living with me for a while. Perhaps you can bring home one of your residentially flexible friends?

As for your PC greeting, I'd love to hear the Walmart greeters saying that oen! ;-)

Happy Solstice!

iMuslim said...

KA:

You're Indian? From across the ocean, I presume?

Nope, i was born in England, but my parents are Indian - so Indian background, but very dilute. You can read more about my second-generation status here.

Beowulf: that greeting was hilarious - especially the disclaimer!

The Intolerant One said...

Beowulf,

I sent a copy of your inspiring Christmas greeeting to a local editor. (That was hilarious)

I wonder if they will have the gonads to publish it????

Krystalline Apostate said...

imuslim:
Nope, i was born in England, but my parents are Indian - so Indian background, but very dilute.
Interesting. So what province do your folks hail from?

BF:
That deliberately ambiguous greeting was very funny. I'm put in mind of Madrak, in Zelazny's Creatures of Light & Darkness, an immortal priest who'd 'pray' in the following manner: "Then into the hands of Whatever May Be that is greater than life or death, I resign myself -- if this act will be of any assistance in preserving my life. If it will not, I do not. If my saying this thing at all be presumptuous, and therefore not well received by Whatever may or may not care to listen, then I withdraw the statement and ask forgiveness, if this thing be desired. If not, I do not. On the other hand --- "

iMuslim said...

KA:
We're Gujarati. My mother was born and bred in Mumbai and thus was a city girl, and my father was born in Gujarat itself, and was a village boy.

They actually got married in Aden and lived in Somalia for a while before coming to England... but i don't know why i'm telling you all that!!