
It was back on August 18, 2003 at the Manitoba Legislative building (see photo above) where I attended a Pro-marriage rally. As expected a number of advocates (about 49 in total) for same sex marriage and local gay and lesbian groups showed up to voice their opposition to the majority's position on the issue.
However, I recognized their right to "Peaceful Protest" permitted to them under the law and the Canadian/Manitoban human rights code. These are basic fundamental freedoms that are "supposedly" recognized in a free and democratic society. Canada, The United States, and even our motherland, the United Kingdom all espouse the inherent right to freedom of speech, freedom of moral conscience, and freedom of peaceful gathering. Sounds fair...doesn't it? It probably would be IF there was not such a double standard. Either these fundamental freedoms apply to ALL or none.
At the pro family rally that I was in attendance it was hard not too notice just how loud , obnoxious, obscene, and unruly these particular protestors were. Every time a speaker got up to the podium the profanity laced heckling and vulgar name calling began. Nearly drowning out the speaker's voice. (Yeah I know... more liberal tolerance) If that was not enough, they then proceeded to stand in front of the speakers waving their flags and banners. Their blatant disrespect for a groups right too peaceful gathering combined with their childish antics was frustrating to say the least. But what made it more frustrating was watching law enforcement stand idly by and do nothing! Maybe that would not be such a big deal IF it went both ways. However in an increasingly politically correct society where the only rights are gay rights there is an obvious bias to those who are opposed.
Let's take Stephen Green, National Director of the UK organization Christian Voice, for example.

On September 2, 2006, Stephen was in attendance at a homosexual Mardi Gras that was held in the Welsh capital of Cardiff in Buke Park. Well, actually, he stood outside the park entrance as people entered in. His purpose? Too hand out a pamphlet to all who passed by titled "Same-Sex Love - Same-Sex Sex; What does the Bible say?" His actions were no different then when we see a PETA rep handing out their own anti-fur brochures in a public setting. The pamphlet was certainly no "Fred Phelps/God hates fags" literature either. It simply established homosexuality as sin thru some scripture references. But also focused on repentance, redemption, and salvation thru Christ which is a demonstration of God's love.
Stephen's treatment for exercising his fundamental right to freedom of speech and peaceful protest (how much noise can one man make?) was incarceration! That's right. As Stephen was quietly distributing his literature and speaking with those who would listen an Inspector Chad, wearing a fluorescent vest with 'Minorities Support Unit' on the back (Minority support unit? Why not just say "The anti-Christian/pro-gay unit" ?) detained him when he refused to surrender his RIGHT to freedom of speech. According to reports he was held in a Cardiff police station cell for over four hours before being charged with:
'threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby, contrary to section 5(1) and (6) of the Public Order Act 1986'.
Are you friggin' kidding me? One man? Arrested and charged for handing out a piece of paper which the intended recipient has every right to throw into the trash should they choose. The obvious blatant discrimination and bias directly, willfully, and intentionally aimed at those who dare to oppose has once again exposed the double standard set by the hypocritcal movement of the tolerant left. It is now official. Political correctness has gone absolutely out of control.
Here, in effect, is the message being sent then. Gay and lesbian groups have every right to yell, jump, and stomp up & down while yelling hate filled profanity at people attending a pro-family/traditional marriage event. This is their "right" to freedom of speech. When the shoe is on the other foot ( a far more mature approach by Stephen I might add) the "right" does not exist. I share Stephen's sentiments when he says:
"All the same, I am astonished that South Wales Police have a special unit dedicated to silencing those who disagree with homosexuality. Stonewall, the homosexual rights organization, say the South Wales Police 'Minorities Support Unit' 'works closely with the LGBT communities'. Maybe they work a bit too closely when an evangelist can be victimized simply because he is giving out leaflets quoting verses from the same Bible police officers swear on in court."

Freedom of speech has become a mirage. A distant memory. Something that only exists if one goes along with the dictated status quo of the mad followers of political correctness, leftwing lunacy, and one sided tolerance. Which in reality is not freedom of speech at all.
Until next time...
11 comments:
Good post bro,
Allow me to utter just that for today.
The left has never been about free speach. They will try to drown out a host of other positions. Just try to question the "proven" science behind global warming theories or to challenge the necessity of "entitlement" programs.
But I think it works both ways. There are unruly and noisy rightists and calm and contained leftists.
Nog:
The left has never been about free speach.
Yeah, there's a newsflash. It's always "free" speech with the exception of only one very small condition...it must support their ideological belief. Otherwise shut your trap.
They will try to drown out a host of other positions.
A rather "open minded and progressive" approach, don't you think? (LOL)
Just try to question the "proven" science behind global warming theories
Yes, that indeed is rather comical. Apparently their theories are science????
Just dare to question, as you say, and they just scream something mundane at you like can you prove the excistence of God? Which of course has nothing to do with the question itself. They just get bent out of shape when you question their illogical "science" and try to shift the focus on creationism.
to challenge the necessity of "entitlement" programs.
Don't even get me going on that one. We actually had a Liberal appointee up here in Canada (Robert Dingwall) who resigned his position only 1 year into his 4 year tenure. He felt he was still owed a full contractual payout even though he QUIT! In his words:
"I am entitled to my ENTITLEMENTS"
Friggin' liberal arrogance makes me puke.
There are unruly and noisy rightists
Nahhh! Those are just Left wing poser's.
Sounds like ‘tolerance enforcement’; minus the tolerance.
I really do not think that the Left and the Right in Europe is the same as the Left and the Right that side of the Atlantic. Could explain lots of confusion when us Europeans read about the ideological differences between the sides.
I really should think of new terms because a lefty there and a lefty here are completely different animals.
Lucy,
Well I certainly am in agreement with you there Lucy. The "Left" indeed are animals! (LOL)
Just teasing ;)
Don't call me an animal to loud TIO, Truth seeker would shoot me!!
If you have put a hole in my new blouse mister...
TIO
"As expected a number of advocates (about 49 in total)"
About 49?
LOL How many is that?
Just picking on ya, buddy. ;)
There does seem to be a double standard.
It would be even moreso if the righty had been arrested at THE SAME EVENT where the lefties were allowed to be obnoxious.
Karen,
How I have missed your sweet prescence ;)
LOL How many is that?
Just picking on ya, buddy. ;)
Between me and some other's in attendance the other total was 51 so I said "about" for my friends who would dispute there was 2 more then I said.
Our extremely liberally bias "Winnipeg Free Press" reported over 150! I just about fell over. I know they cannot comprehend objective reporting but I did not realise they couldn't count either.
It would be even moreso if the righty had been arrested at THE SAME EVENT where the lefties were allowed to be obnoxious.
I sense those days are on the way. I hope I am wrong.
ITO:
Well, interesting post...
I did a little research on this guy. He tried to have Jerry Springer the Opera banned, did he not?
He also disapproves of other religions being taught in school as well?
Shoe's t'other foot, I'd say. If he indeed was simply quietly handing out propoganda (oops! I mean pamphlets, sorrysorrysorry), then no, that wasn't cool at all.
Got video on the entire affair? I'd really like to see the whole thing, if you'd please.
For the record, most 'leftie liberals' here in the US are free speech advocates, including myself.
My entire country is a free speech zone. But protestors aren't allowed w/in visual range of the president. They're herded off 5 miles away to protest in CAGES. They're called 'Free Speech Zones'.
Don't even make a joke about that. I will go off bigtime.
& that's under a RIGHT-WING, XTIAN, CONSERVATIVE ADMINISTRATION.
So don't give me this egregious horseshit about 'lefties' suppressing free speech. Maybe in your country, but sure as fuck not in mine.
Sorry, man. Stuff like that gets right up my nose.
Post a Comment