Monday, December 05, 2005

Tis' the season for insult

Everybody gather into your imaginary box's for a moment. I need you to put on someone else's shoes for a moment. Are you ready? Here we go...

It's YOUR birthday (for arguments sake, will say your name is Joe). OK it is officially Joe's birthday. Everybody on the planet knows Joe and once a year stops to celebrate Joe's birthday. Joe is known to be a very positive person who only desires to shine love on every soul he comes into contact with. This is Joe's day and should be celebrated as such.

However, one dark and evil day, a feminst group of hardcore "man-haters", wanting to be known only as "womyn" not "women", came along and decided that Joe was simply to masculine sounding and was offensive to them. They did not seem to mind taking time off to visit and celebrate with family and friends over the designated days off for Joe's birthday, they were just offended by Joe. Even though Joe never wronged them in any way. Anyways, the evil feminists felt the name should be changed to Jolene's birthday.

This, however, sparked an outrage among the gay, lesbian, and transvestite community who felt not only was Joe to masculine but Jolene was to feminine. Neither of these names was sufficent for Joe's birthday (remember him?) because they were not "gender" friendly. They felt Joe's day should be changed altogether to a more suitable name such as Marion's birthday. This name could apply to both sexes, therefore, it was deemed "safe" and non-offensive.

But it did not stop there. The anti-Joes in Quebec and France were very offended by the use of a most commonly used french name (Marion) and wanted it changed to a more english known name such as Jordan. This way the french could distance themselves from this mostly english tradition celebration. Remember, anything that seperates french from english is considered victory to them. OK?!?!?!

Good! It will be called Jordans Birthday then? Not so fast. You see the Canadian Government's language police agency felt that Jordan still sounded too much like Joe and was just as offensive if not more as now it was subtley re-introducing Joe back into the picture. "We can't have that, everybody would be offended and we could have a revolution on our hands!" they exclaimed with panic stricken faces.

"We will never be able to satisfy everyone so maybe we will just call it "Person's Day". It is gender friendly, does not insult the french or the english the gays, lesbians or transvestites, it does not use derugatory terms such as "women", is not chauvinistic, and makes no direct reference to anyone individuals birthday. Terrific, we solved the problem and nobody should get offended. Aren't we great!"

At the end of the day, of course, none of the groups mentioned above (when asked) had any inkling as to what exactly they were celebrating.

Of course the one group left out of the whole equation was all the people who personally knew and loved Joe. They celebrated Joe's birthday as Joe's Birthday because , well , it was HIS to celebrate. Why would they change it? For those who were offended by Joe's birthday...nobody was forcing their hand to even celebrate it. It appeared that "everybody" else just wanted to jump on their own political soapbox to tear down the one individuals special day. An individual who never brought any harm upon them and only wanted the very best for them. That was his birthday wish every year even for those who detested him.

For those who have not caught on yet, Joe is Jesus Christ and the "other" groups are political correctness gone mad! Welcome to Christmas time in Canada where we have multi-faith or multicultural tree's. We say things like "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" or "Best Wishes". All for the sake of not offending others.

However, I consider myself a true Canadian. I am offensive, intolerant, and I am Canadian! So let me wish you all a very Merry CHRISTmas. I would also like to remind you that Jesus IS the reason for the season (whether you like it or not!), and may God Bless you richly this CHRISTmas season as we celebrate the true meaning. The birth of God's son, Jesus Christ, who came into this world for you and me.



If that is not offensive enough for you, just wait till you read my Easter entry. Until next time...

(PS: I would like to hear yor responses regarding what Christmas is to you? Has political correcteness gone overboard?, and whatever other comments you may have. Be sure to check back as I will respond)

14 comments:

rabsteen said...

it's a time to return home and spend time w/ the family! and have a few xmas drinks!!!

The Intolerant One said...

I am hearing ya. Family is very important. However, as a recovered alcoholic, I usually fall off the eggnog wagon very year. Drink it straight up all December and then hate it for the next 11 months.

On the plus side, I suffer no hang-overs and I remember everything I did over the holidays which is helpful. I can tell Santa with a clean conscience what a good boy I have been.

Jeff Msangi said...

I loved your writting and your entire blog.I happen to have a personal problem or questioning mind about ChristMas.I have been celebrating ChristMas for the last 29 years.The question that comes into my mind now is was Jesus born on 25th December? How sure are we that he was born in December,during winter?Please help me with some answers here

The Intolerant One said...

Thanks for your response Jeff. The answer to your question is NO, Jesus was not actually born on December 25. Here is an excerpt from a website that would explain the answer in far greater detail.

"In Rome December 25 was made popular by Pope Liberius in 354 and became the rule in the West in 435 when the first "Christ mass" was officiated by Pope Sixtus III. This coincided with the date of a celebration by the Romans to their primary god, the Sun, and to Mithras, a popular Persian sun god supposedly born on the same day. The Roman Catholic writer Mario Righetti candidly admits that, "to facilitate the acceptance of the faith by the pagan masses, the Church of Rome found it convenient to institute the 25th of December as the feast of the birth of Christ to divert them from the pagan feast, celebrated on the same day in honor of the 'Invincible Sun' Mithras, the conqueror of darkness" (Manual of Liturgical History, 1955, Vol. 2, p. 67)."

It is believed that Jesus Christ was actually born in the fall around September. Although there is no exact date, scholars believe it to be within this timeline noting that when you read the scriptures you will notice for example "Sheperds were abiding their flocks by night"Luke 2:8. December would have been the cold and rainy season. The latest they would have been out in the fields would have been in September.

The other thing of note was the concenus called by Caesar Augustus. To have called a cenus in December
would be as unpopular as an election in mid winter. A cenus was almost always called just after harvest when weather was still decent and the work had been completed for the year. This would have been around September and no later then October.

I hope this helps and I would encourage you to check out the website I mentioned. It can be found at:

http://www.new-life.net/chrtms10.htm

It will give you the very long extended version you may be looking for but it should answer your question in full. Hope to hear from you again.

Mandora the Explorer said...

While I do agree with the idea of saying happy holidays (because that includes all celebrations that happen right now) I think that trying to de-christmas christmas is one of the stupidist trends of the last few years... Did you see the thing about the US trying to make the christmas tree into a 'holiday tree'?? That's not recognizing religious freedom... they aren't making a mennorah a candlestick holder.... The Christmas tree is a religous symbol. If you don't want to put a religious symbol in the middle of your town for tree lighting ceremonies then don't... but you can't take away it's traditional meaning just because it might offend those who don't practise Christmas/Christianity (and the two are not necessarily one and the same)

It's persecuting Christians.... and, although I'm not actually a member of any 'faith' per say, I respect the Christ and I think that he was a rockin guy. So, I'm not a 'Christian'... shouldn't I be offended by Christmas?? No. Taking away from peoples right to worship is just unreasonable, is against the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (and the American constitution) and in the name of 'inclusion' and 'political correctness' is just plain contradictory.

Mandora the Explorer said...

ps - Merry Christmas! I followed you from Jeff's blog. ;)

Where's that post on Iraq? I have some things to say!! :)

The Intolerant One said...

Mandora: Regarding the stupidity of "holiday trees" (which was I believe in Boston) This has been a favourite insult, uhhh..I mean pastime here in Manitoba. About 4 years ago our Provincial Cultural Minister, Becky "Bonehead" Barrett, decided on her own to rename the legislature tree a "multicultural tree". Fourtantely, our Premier (Gary Doer) changed it back (only after public outcry) As he wisely put it "...if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then it is a duck!. It is a Christmas tree."

Last year we went thru the same dilema when a popular tourist attraction and fave hangout for many Winnipeggers, known as "The Forks" did the same thing referring to their tree as a "Holiday tree". This again sparked public outrage and get this ...even the Hindu's were offended that the establishment would insult the tradition's of Christmas, stating that, calling it a Christmas tree in no way offended them (or other faiths for that matter) and that it was very presumptious of them to assume that. Needless to say it is back to being called a Christmas tree this year.

It appears to me some people's definition of inclusion means to remove all those who disagree.

Your bang on when you say that we don't see them changing other religious symbols such as the Mennorah.

Regarding Iraq entry: Boy you are ready to come out guns a blazing on that one. Slow down, I have not even written it yet. It may take me some time as I know that my view will prick a lot of people. I want to piece it in such a way that even if people were to continue to disagree they could at least understand why I would support it.

On a final note regarding Christmas, although I am a Christian myself (8 years now) I actually do not recognize it as a "religious" holiday. Religion is for the institutionalised hypocrite's. Christianity is about freedom in Christ. Even Jesus Christ had no use for religion. He often rebuked the hypocrisy of the Pharisee's and all their "man made" laws that they encompassed around God's laws.

In my understanding of scripture...it's only God's laws that count! Not what man adds or take's away from them.

PS: enjoyed your blog on monogamy or lack thereof, and I totally disagree with you!(LOL)

Jeff Msangi said...

A thank you is all I can say right now.The brain opener that you have given me about the unmentioned evidence of Lord Jesus Christ is remarkable.Thanks for the site as well.
Regarding the religious symbols eg.Christmas Tree, Its another symbol that I have no clue about its origin.
Please don't laugh but in Africa people put some cotton pieces on the tree to symbolize ice/snow.(Most parts of Africa do not see snow/ice) Where does it all come from? What is the connection between tree,snow?

Mandora the Explorer said...

Ha ha! Of course you disagree with me! ;) I'd be offended if you didn't!

PS - pop by my blog again...I'm starting a debate club!

(and, about the holiday tree thing - I'm not Christian and I find it incredibly offensive that they would want to call it a holiday tree....)

I also really respect your take on Christianity.... that's the way it should be, I just wish more people saw it like that. And, that's the reason I don't like organized religion...it focusses on the wrong things.

The Intolerant One said...

Mandora: I would certainly love to be the "voice of reason" on your blog debates. Speaking relevant truth to the masses is always gauranteed to offend (LOL) It also tends to invite a verbal beating as well! (snicker)

I will look forward to your topics. You have intrigued me. Thank you for the invite.

Jeff: First I must tell you the only laugh I had regarding the cotton on the tree's in Africa was a good natured one. You remind me so much of my dear friend and brother in Christ Peter. He also comes from Africa. The country of Nigeria. I have enjoyed many good times of learning, sharing, and fellowship with him. He is dear to me.

I was going to attempt an answer regarding the meaning of a Christmas tree but there are many different "legends" behind it. I came across an essay on the web that I felt gave a very detailed description and yet it is not very long. Again, I hope you will find an answer for your question. You can find it at:

http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwhessays/cot/t0w32christmas.htm

I enjoy your quetsions so do not hesitate to ask. I am learning from them as well.

Jeff Msangi said...

Thanks for the site and the natured laugh.The same thing amuses me sometimes when I have a sided look.However,I would still like to have a piece of your opinion,understanding regarding christmas tree.I real value your contribution.

The Intolerant One said...

Jeff: Personally I have always viewed the Christmas tree as a religious symbol that signified the beginning of the Christams season but also of the birth of Jesus Christ.

This is because these are the memories I have as a child growing up so I do relate the two. Even the home church that I attend put's up a very large tree in the sanctuary.

Before the invasion of the "politically elite" started to steal away these traditions because they deemed them offensive to everyone else, Christmas carols about Jesus were still sung in the public school system when I was a child. I remember even participating in Christmas plays where the "nativity" scene of the birth of Christ was the featured play. Nobody was offended back then. I was not even a Christian at the time and yet I really enjoyed the stories of a Saviour sent to earth for the redemption of the human race. I still to this day cannot figure out what is so offensive about that.

Back to your original question, my opinion on the tree is that it signifies the Christmas season to me. I see the tree and I think of Jesus. I think of family and gatherings. I think of celebration of the Birth of God's one and only son. And I always think of Elvis Presley. I know he is not a religious figure but my mother always played his Christmas album at Christmas time. I am listening to it right now as I type. Gift's are nice but I so much enjoy the time spent with family.

I hope you discover these same things at Christmas. I send you blessing's and look forward to more times of interaction with you. (I read your last entry on multi cultarism, very good! I think I will go back to it again and re-read it.)

Doctor Marco said...

I saw the response to my question. in the comments from the "Sinners rejoice" post. I understand that you, as an educated person, are aware of certain historical facts, but...What do you think of less educated Christians? Should they be enlightened or should they remain in the darkness?

The Intolerant One said...

I assume when you ask the question if Christians:

"Should they be enlightened or should they remain in the darkness?"

...you are asking if they should be made aware if they realise that December 25th is not the actual date of Christ's birth.(would this be correct?)

I feel that it is important for them to be informed of this. The circle of Christian friends that I have already are aware and a lot of that information came directly from the Pastor's pulpit (including my own home church) Alot of church's already teach this and alot of them do not.

Should they be informed? Yes for the sake of "educational" purposes. It also provides a better and more informed response to a non Christian who, like yourself, is curious.

However I would also note that I would not place too much emphasis on it as it is not detrimental to a Christians personal "salvation" or "walk" with God. In other words it has no impact on their level of faith or their place in heaven.

I hope this answers your question Marco, If not, keep asking!